the basilica or temple of the sacred heart of jesus (sagrado coracao de jesus) is most commonly known as the temple of santa luzia. it was erected on the east spur of the mountain from where it overlooks and blesses the city of viana do castelo, and from where one can gaze at an admirable view, which combines the lima river and its valley, and the whole mountain range, considered by the national geographic magazine as "one of the world's finest panoramas". it is one of the country's most well-known and emblematic monuments. its construction started at the beginning of the 20th century and was completed in 1943. 41º 42’ 05’’ north | 08º 50’ 05’’ west
one can find in the surroundings of the praça da república, formerly known as praça d. maria II queen of portugal, the former, renaissance style, town hall, dated from the 16th century. to its left, also renaissance style, is an old building where the portuguese charity holy house of mercy (misericórdia) once operated, designed by joão lopes. and also designed by him, at the center, is the water fountain (16th century), an emblematic work of art that guaranteed the population's supply of drinkable water. and at the other end, in the former building of the bank of portugal built during the estado novo regime, is the costume museum that shows to its visitors the ethnographic richness of viana's traditional costumes.
this vast patrimony, as well as numerous houses bearing coat of arms, can be admired from several coffee shop terraces that summon us to ease one’s appetite. 41º 42’ north | 08º 49’ west